Glass Types


Float Glass

Float glass is a sheet of glass made by floating molten glass on a bed of molten tin. It is then cooled and cut to size required. Float glass is considered standard glass. It is the most common glass used is house windows.


Toughened Glass

Toughened glass starts out as float glass or drawn glass. It is then processed, where it is heat treated to increase the strength. Toughened glass is more durable than float glass, and is used in glass splashbacks to endure heat from cooktops. When toughened glass is broken, it breaks into thousands of little pieces of glass. Toughened glass is a ‘A-grade safety glass’.


Laminated Glass

Laminated glass is a ‘A-grade safety glass’. Laminated glass is two or more pieces of glass held together by an interlay in the middle. When a piece of laminated glass is broken, it does not break away from the interlay. Laminated glass will only crack and is then held together by the interlay, making it safe. You can get high performance glass, decorative glass, and float glass all in laminated.


High Performance Glass

High Performance glass is considered to be energy efficient glass, which helps retain the heat in your house in winter and prevents heat absorption in summer. Such glass is considered to be comfort plus, EnergyTech, EVantage, SolTec and Sunergy.


Decorative Glass

Decorative glass is an obscure glass which blurs an image behind it or blocks it out completely. A pattern is impressed on one side of the glass leaving it with a textured finish and the other side is smooth. There are many different types of decorative glass.


Double Glazed Units

Double glazing can bring two benefits: energy efficiency and noise reduction. Double glazed units bring two pieces of glass (majority of glass types can be used in these units) together with a spacer in the middle (filled either with air or argon gas), then the unit is sealed. Spacers in double glazed units can be 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 or 20mm. Any glass thickness and type can be chosen to go with the unit.


Film / Tint

You can get film/tint applied to your glass for almost any purpose you wish. For vandalism you can get anti-graffiti film, for safety you can get safety film, for glare you can get anti-glare film, or for privacy you can one-way film. Where rooms in your house get the sun, you can get reflection film applied. The list is endless.

Insurance Claims

We deal direct with your insurance company to get your glass replaced with minimal hassle by our fully AGGA qualified glaziers.